Sunday, June 1, 2008

Chapt 5- June

Principle 3- build culture around service

Teams
  • Service- front line staff harvest good ideas.
  • Standards- develop standards of behavior for all employees.
    • Begin here. Look at questions on your employee, pt & physician surveys. Hold employees accountable to the "standards of behavior"
  • Pt Satisfaction- responsible for ensuring highest level of service
  • Physician Satisfaction- responsible for ensuring highest level of service to physicians
    • Determine what they want & what they are most frustrated by
      • Focus
      • Fix
      • Follow up
  • Employer of Choice- help the organization become employer of choice.
  • Measurement- digs into pt satisfaction measurement & makes easy to read reports.
  • Service Recovery- develops service recovery policy & educates staff.
  • Communication- responsible for ensuring employees understand a culture of service & organizational excellence
  • Reward & Recognition-responsible for developing processes & ideas to reward & rccognize employees.
Key Words at Key Times
Let patients know why you're doing things. Develop your own key words based upon survey results.

AIDET
A-acknowledge the pt
I- introduce yourself
D- duration
E- explanation
T- Thank you

Discharge phone calls
  • empathy
  • clinical outcomes
  • recognition
  • service
  • process improvement

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

The concept of "Key Words at Key Times" is a pretty basic concept, but the impact can be great. What is said and when is so important to people's overall perception of the service they receive. Recently, I had a family member who was hospitalized, and needed a scan done after hours, necessitating the technican to be called in. She was very friendly and kind in her demeanor. However, what made the biggest impression on me was when the staff nurse thanked her for coming in, her comment (In front of my family and myself) was "Hey, for what I'm making on call-in pay, they can call me in anytime". It kind of cast a shadow over all the other things she said and did. Obviously we need to strive to do better!

Anonymous said...

Chapter 5 was very helpful to me - there were concrete examples of how to do things. I think we all need to work on communication all the time - to staff and to patients. I make assumptions that staff know about changes and why we are changing, but that isn't always communicated. I liked the scripting behind talking to patients about why we do what we do. Some of it is hokey and contrived, but I think it probably does make a patient feel better about their care and their caregivers. I find the AIDET to be contrived - it's more information than I want to know. Some of it's important and sometimes missed, but other stuff - how long someone has been working and that they've done the procedure hundreds of times. I expect that of my surgeon, but not someone taking an X-ray. What if the person is a new grad? Do they have to acknowledge that they're brand-new? I'd rather not know.

Regarding discharge calls - I think it's a nice courtesy, but I wonder about liability issues. If we're calling new families, they often have lots of questions - they really should be contacting the physician's office so they have continuity of care. If we're only calling to see how their visit was, it might work.

Anonymous said...

Establishing key words at key times (scripting) using the AIDET framework will increase patient satisfaction. Teams need to identify how they can interject key words to promote service excellence.